Art and Design falls within the Creative Arts Faculty and is taught both as a subject in its own right and as an integrated subject with Dance, Drama and Music at KS3. In 2012, the arts at Highworth Warneford School achieved the Artsmark Gold Award.
Through a rich variety of termly or half termly projects, pupils are given the opportunity to experience a different approach to art, craft and design. There is a balance in the programme of study between investigating and making, which are the practical aspects of creating art, and knowledge and understanding in which the pupils study the work of artists from our and other cultures both past and present.
Pupils have the opportunity to make both two-dimensional and three-dimensional work including ceramics. Pupils are taught to use materials, tools and techniques to develop their creative, imaginative and practical skills to enable them to express ideas and feelings, record observations and design and make images and artifacts.
The years 7 to 9 form the building blocks for further study at GCSE level. Much of the work at this level is directly generated by, or in negotiation with individual pupils and therefore, is directly related to their own abilities and needs.
The Department comprises of four teachers, all with different specialisms. Accommodation is very good with two large Art Rooms in a modern purpose built design block. Both teaching rooms benefit from projectors and whiteboards with an additional suite of specialised computers to support the digital photography course.
There is an Art Club, which is held on a daily basis, the purpose of which is to encourage pupils to extend their experiences within the subject area.
During the two-year GCSE Art course, students develop the skills of investigation, experimentation and realization of their intentions through a series of coursework projects in both two and three dimensional work.
The GCSE Photography course is relatively new and we are currently working on a project in which the students design and make their own CD cover and music video to accompany it.
Follow this link to view a selection of our GCSE Year 11 Surreal Photos Digital Photography photos
The controlled assessment comprises 60% of the examination marks with the 10 hour set task and supporting studies comprising the remaining 40% of the marks. A final display of coursework and exam work is held for inspection by the external moderator.
We find that our pupils begin to increasingly understand the relevance of our course, in that it not only provides a career base for many, but also:
* Raises their general awareness of the world around them
* Assists them in communicating effectively
* Develops skills in controlling tools and materials
* Develops planning and organization ability
* Encourages both independence and co-operation
Follow this link to view more of our art work Art Photos
Follow this link to view our Clay Masks Art Masks